Enabling every pupil to find their own voice
Monkton’s music department prides itself on its abilities to enable every student to find their own voice. Like many other schools, we run a list of what might be termed ‘standard’ extra-curricular ensembles such as Senior Orchestra, Concert band, Chamber Choir and Chapel Choir but in addition to these activities, we create groups based on the needs and abilities of our students, some of which change year upon year. Groups of this nature include:
‘The Choir who can’t sing’. A group for boys in years 9-13, with the key aim of building confidence and skills in singing
‘Jazz@Monkton’. A small jazz band with a focus on encouraging students to think creatively through improvisation, playing in a variety of different styles.
‘Monkton Ukes’. A group for beginner to advanced level Ukulele players (and more recently, banjo players!) with an interest in playing an eclectic mix of music, from Bruno Mars to an arrangement of Vivaldi’s Concerto for two Mandolins!
At Monkton, we are very fortunate to have a state-of-the-art music department, complete with a recording studio and live rooms (see ‘Music resources at Monkton’). It is for this reason that we offer Music Technology a part of our academic curriculum, although all students throughout KS4-KS5 will have the opportunity to make use of these resources and gain a fundamental understanding of them.
GCSE Music is a good option for students seeking to choose a subject that is both practical and academic. The Edexcel course is divided up into three components of performing, listening and composing. Performing and composing make up 60% of the course and students will then complete a listening paper in the Summer, accounting for the final 40%. In the listening part of the course, students will study music from a wide variety of genres, including Rock and Pop music, Jazz fusion, Folk and Classical. Students also have the option to compose and perform in any style.
As a GCSE music student, you will be able to use all of the fantastic resources that Monkton has to offer (see ‘Music Resources at Monkton’)
A level Music
Music is a very good option for Sixth Form study and is regarded highly by Universities as a subject that demonstrates both a creative and academic skill-set on behalf of the student.
As in GCSE, students follow the Edexcel specification which divides the subject into three components: performing, composing and listening, thereby giving students the opportunity to develop a breadth of skills that are both academic and practical in nature.
The new Edexcel syllabus allocates 30% of its marks to performing and 30% to composing. The remaining 40% is allocated to the study of set works, which include:
o Vocal Music,
o Instrumental Music,
o Music for Film,
o Popular Music and Jazz,
o New Directions.
Students will study specific pieces based on these categories and will also apply knowledge gleaned here to unfamiliar works in the final written exam.
For students who wish to pursue Music Technology in further education, Monkton offers a BTEC advanced subsidiary diploma (equivalent to a single A level) in Music Technology. The course is very practical in nature and offers students the opportunity to gain skills, knowledge and understanding in the following areas:
· Mixing and Mastering recordings
· Live recording techniques (particularly mic placement and use of a mixing desk)
· Sequencing skills using Logic Pro X
· Songwriting and production
· Audio manipulation for soundscape design and moving image composition
· Composition using related art forms
Whilst a GCSE in music is not a necessary requirement for this course, a fundamental knowledge of music production software is very important. We also require students to demonstrate practical competencies on a musical instrument as there are aspect of the course that require students to act as session musicians for one another.
Music resources at Monkton
As a music student at Monkton, you will have the privilege of using state-of-the-art resources to enhance your learning. Resources include:
• a state-of-the-art rehearsal hall with digital recording facilities, equipped with a Steinway Model B grand piano for major ensembles with the capacity to accommodate an audience of 100 for recitals, plus a mezzanine viewing gallery.
• 12 instrumental teaching and practice rooms each with an upright piano, sound-proofed and air-conditioned.
• a music library and listening room.
• a classroom for up to 24 pupils, fully networked and cabled, equipped with Apple Mac composing work-stations with sequencing and notation software
• A recording studio and live room, for the production of composition work and performances
• A smaller project studio for mixing and mastering sessions
Monkton's Music Centre
In February 2012, Monkton opened a new 3.2m Music Centre at the Senior School. This outstanding facility houses:
- a state-of-the-art rehearsal hall with digital recording facilities, equipped with a Steinway Model B grand piano for major ensembles with the capacity to accommodate an audience of 70 for recitals, plus a mezzanine viewing gallery.
- 12 instrumental teaching and practice rooms each with an upright piano, sound-proofed and air-conditioned.
- a music library and listening room.
- a classroom for up to 24 pupils, fully networked and cabled, equipped with Apple Mac composing work-stations with sequencing and notation software.
- air-conditioned and fully sound-proofed percussion and rock studios.
- a recording studio and production room.
To view some images of the Music Centre, please visit our gallery.
Get more info about Academic Music…
MusicCalendarSummer2019.pdf Size: 820.22 KB
Music Diary for Lent term 2019Download »
To arrange a visit, or for any other enquiries regarding admissions at the Senior School, please contact our Head of Admissions, Mrs Carole Heritage on 01225 721 133
To arrange a visit, or any other enquiries at the Pre-Prep and Prep please contact our Deputy Heads of Admissions Nicky Davis or Katie Hiscott on 01225 831 238.
Give us a call:
Tel: +44 (0)1225 721 133
Or send us an email:
email@example.com for Senior School enquiries
firstname.lastname@example.org for Pre-Prep and Prep enquiries
Alternatively, to request a prospectus, please use our online form:Click here »
Ashleigh's stunning end to the seasonRead more »
First regatta of the season sees a flurry of firsts for Monkton
Year 11 boys winning the open fours category after 3 very hard races.Read more »