Prep School Scholarships
Entering Years 3 and 7
Scholarships are awarded to students in recognition of excellence and a commitment to their field(s).
Students would be expected to:
- Lead in their chosen field by being involved in and developing their skills within their field.
- Support the development of their field by taking part in clubs, activities and events that are associated with their scholarship
- Be dedicated to their field through an on-going demonstration of ambition, perseverance, engagement and curiosity in their learning.
- £1,000 fee discount; in addition, priority is given to scholars for allocation of bursary funds according to the standard means declaration
- Membership of the scholarship program in their chosen field
- Free LAMDA and Music lesson
- Have access to resources (staff and or materials) and be involved in developing their own passions within a particular area
- Opportunities to develop intellectual curiosity through a variety of lectures, trips, competitions and presentations.
The assessment process takes into account a pupil's ability, potential, attitude and work ethos. The day will provide an opportunity to assess potential scholars in these areas.
Date of Academic Assessment: 15th - 17th January 2019: Application deadline: 3rd December 2018
Candidates will do a piece of creative writing where imagination and high level description is encouraged, and a problem solving mathematical activity which is designed to be challenging. Resilience and response to challenges will form part of the success criteria.
Date of Art Assessment - 16th-17th November 2018 - Application deadline: 19th October 2018
Candidates should bring a portfolio of work with them which should represent work which has been done outside of the schools’ curriculum and thereby show a passion for embracing art outside the classroom. They will do a piece of work under timed conditions in a medium of their choice.
Date of Design Technology Assessment - 16th-17th November 2018 - Application Deadline: 19th October 2018
An example of a completed project or a portfolio of work forms part of the interview discussion. They will also do a piece of work under timed conditions in the design technology lab with access to appropriate machinery.
Date of Drama Assessment - 16th-17th November 2018 - Application Deadline: 19th October 2018
Candidates would need to have good experience of performing in and outside of school. A monologue will be presented as part of the selection process and the candidate will be required to improvise a scene or scenario. If candidates receive an award, they will be entitled to receive free weekly LAMDA lessons at the school, and will be expected to audition for school performances.
Date of Music Assessment - 16th-17th November 2018 - Application Deadline: 19th October 2018
Candidates must offer two instruments (one of which can be voice) and have a high level (grade 4) in at least one. Candidates must prepare one piece on each instrument offered. Scales, sight reading and aural tests will also be assessed. If candidates receive an award they will be entitled to receive free weekly lessons on both 1st and 2nd study instruments (based upon Monkton instrumental tuition fees).
Date of Sport Assessment - 3rd December 2018 - Application deadline: 5th November 2018
Candidates must have a high standard in two sports – where preference is given to the School’s major sports of rugby, hockey, cricket, swimming and netball. Fitness, agility and coordination are all tested.
The Ama Agbeze Netball Award
The Ama Agbeze Netball award is made annually to a new entrant to the school with a particular strength in Netball, in honour of Monkton Alumnus and Commonwealth Gold Medallist Ama Agbeze.
This award benefits from all of the above with the addition of some contact with Ama herself as well as additional fee remission of up to £2000 per annum.
The Monktonian Award
Date of Assessment - 16th-17th November 2018 - Application Deadline: 19th October 2018
In many schools, there are one or two ‘good eggs’ who everyone is impressed by but who may not be obvious scholarship candidates; a pupil who thinks differently, wants to try lots of things, is enthusiastic about everything they do in school and often wears the mantle of leadership well, despite not seeking it.
Monkton seeks to recognise these pupils in the Monktonian Award. Candidates who have a number of areas of enthusiasm and skill which might not reach the standard of a scholarship on their own may enter for the Monktonian Award.
There is an expectation that holders of the Monktonian Award will contribute to many areas of school life, set an example for for younger pupils and be diligent in all that they do.
Assessment Details for all Prep School Scholarships
· All awards include standardised testing as part of the application and assessment process. Assessments will be undertaken by Monkton Prep and Senior School staff.
· All candidates will have an interview with the Headmaster or member of senior staff.
· All candidates for scholarship would need to provide up to date reports / references from their current school, sports club, art, music or drama teacher.
· Unsuccessful applicants for Year 7 may reapply for Year 9 scholarships.
· Further details will be made available on receipt of application.
To apply for any of the scholarships please contact our admissions team on firstname.lastname@example.org requesting an application form.
To arrange a visit, or for any other enquiries regarding admissions at the Senior School, please contact our Head of Admissions, Mrs Carole Heritage on 01225 721 133
To arrange a visit, or any other enquiries at the Pre-Prep and Prep please contact Nicky Davis on 01225 831 238.
Give us a call:
Tel: +44 (0)1225 721 133
Or send us an email:
email@example.com for Senior School enquiries
firstname.lastname@example.org for Pre-Prep and Prep enquiries
Alternatively, to request a prospectus, please use our online form:Click here »
MONKTON COMBE SCHOOL BECOMES FIRST INDEPENDENT SCHOOL IN SOUTH WEST TO SECURE SOIL ASSOCIATION SILVER AWARD
Pre-Prep Pupils at Monkton Combe School celebrate becoming the first independent school in the South West to receive a Soil Association Silver award, with Soil Association Certification Officer Mark Machin and Steve Brown, Palmer & Howells General ManagerRead more »