Prep School Scholarships
Entering Years 3 and 7
Scholarships are awarded to students in recognition of excellence and a commitment to their field(s).
Students would be expected to:
- Lead in their chosen field by being involved in and developing their skills within their field.
- Support the development of their field by taking part in clubs, activities and events that are associated with their scholarship
- Be dedicated to their field through an on-going demonstration of ambition, perseverance, engagement and curiosity in their learning.
- £1,000 fee discount; in addition, priority is given to scholars for allocation of bursary funds according to the standard means declaration
- Membership of the scholarship program in their chosen field
- Free LAMDA for Drama scholars
- Free Music lessons for Music scholars
- Have access to resources (staff and or materials) and be involved in developing their own passions within a particular area
- Opportunities to develop intellectual curiosity through a variety of lectures, trips, competitions and presentations.
The assessment process takes into account a pupil's ability, potential, attitude and work ethos. The day will provide an opportunity to assess potential scholars in these areas.
Frequently asked Questions
1. What is a Year 3 Scholarship?
A scholarship is a recognition of commitment to and excellence in a particular area - in particular to Year 3 this would be a child who has shown over and above interest, a sense of curiosity which extends beyond the classroom and a strong ability in a range of academic areas.
2. What does assessment day involve, and what should we prepare?
There is no preparation for you to do as a family aside from ensuring that your child feels relaxed as they arrive to the assessment day.
The morning will involve three activities for the children to take part in:
- Maths Activity - This will involve the children needing to use their problem solving skills and ability to work as a team to complete a challenge.
- Creative Writing Activity - This will take the form of a typical lesson where the children’s engagement and contribution to class discussion will be being looked at as well as their creative writing skills.
- Team Building - This will be run by Mr Sim and Mr Goode and will involve some sport based team building games which will show the how well they can work together as a team and individual communication and problem solving skills.
- As well as this each applicant will have an interview with a member of the Senior Leadership Team of Monkton Prep School.
3. If my child is successful, what can we expect in terms of scholarship programme and benefits?
If your child is successful you will receive an annual £1000 fee discount for Year 3 - 5. There will be some external projects which will be offered for your child to complete out of school which will extend learning beyond the curriculum, the opportunity to join in the junior enrichment programme which may involve an external trip or an activity within school hours.
Scholars are expected to retain a positive sense of learning and continue to show interest and curiosity outside the classroom - they may be asked to share this with their class or teachers.
For a full list of FAQs, please click on the link: https://www.monktoncombeschool.com/assets/files/prepschooldocs/Year3ScholarshipFAQs.pdf or download in our Useful downloads on the right hand side of this page.
Date of Academic Assessment: 15th - 17th January 2019: Application deadline: 3rd December 2018
Candidates will do a piece of creative writing where imagination and high level description is encouraged, and a problem solving mathematical activity which is designed to be challenging. Resilience and response to challenges will form part of the success criteria.
Date of Art Assessment - 16th-17th November 2018 - Application deadline: 19th October 2018
Candidates should bring a portfolio of work with them which should represent work which has been done outside of the schools’ curriculum and thereby show a passion for embracing art outside the classroom. They will do a piece of work under timed conditions in a medium of their choice.
Date of Design Technology Assessment - 16th-17th November 2018 - Application Deadline: 19th October 2018
An example of a completed project or a portfolio of work forms part of the interview discussion. They will also do a piece of work under timed conditions in the design technology lab with access to appropriate machinery.
Date of Drama Assessment - 16th-17th November 2018 - Application Deadline: 19th October 2018
Candidates would need to have good experience of performing in and outside of school. A monologue will be presented as part of the selection process and the candidate will be required to improvise a scene or scenario. If candidates receive an award, they will be entitled to receive free weekly LAMDA lessons at the school, and will be expected to audition for school performances.
Date of Music Assessment - 16th-17th November 2018 - Application Deadline: 19th October 2018
Candidates must offer two instruments (one of which can be voice) and have a high level (grade 4) in at least one. Candidates must prepare one piece on each instrument offered. Scales, sight reading and aural tests will also be assessed. If candidates receive an award they will be entitled to receive free weekly lessons on both 1st and 2nd study instruments (based upon Monkton instrumental tuition fees).
Date of Sport Assessment - 3rd December 2018 - Application deadline: 5th November 2018
Candidates must have a high standard in two sports – where preference is given to the School’s major sports of rugby, hockey, cricket, swimming and netball. Fitness, agility and coordination are all tested.
The Ama Agbeze Netball Award
The Ama Agbeze Netball award is made annually to a new entrant to the school with a particular strength in Netball, in honour of Monkton Alumnus and Commonwealth Gold Medallist Ama Agbeze.
This award benefits from all of the above with the addition of some contact with Ama herself as well as additional fee remission of up to £2000 per annum.
The Monktonian Award
Date of Assessment - 16th-17th November 2018 - Application Deadline: 19th October 2018
In many schools, there are one or two ‘good eggs’ who everyone is impressed by but who may not be obvious scholarship candidates; a pupil who thinks differently, wants to try lots of things, is enthusiastic about everything they do in school and often wears the mantle of leadership well, despite not seeking it.
Monkton seeks to recognise these pupils in the Monktonian Award. Candidates who have a number of areas of enthusiasm and skill which might not reach the standard of a scholarship on their own may enter for the Monktonian Award.
There is an expectation that holders of the Monktonian Award will contribute to many areas of school life, set an example for for younger pupils and be diligent in all that they do.
Assessment Details for all Prep School Scholarships
· All awards include standardised testing as part of the application and assessment process. Assessments will be undertaken by Monkton Prep and Senior School staff.
· All candidates will have an interview with the Headmaster or member of senior staff.
· All candidates for scholarship would need to provide up to date reports / references from their current school, sports club, art, music or drama teacher.
· Unsuccessful applicants for Year 7 may reapply for Year 9 scholarships.
· Further details will be made available on receipt of application.
To apply for any of the scholarships please click here.
To arrange a visit, or for any other enquiries regarding admissions at the Senior School, please contact our Head of Admissions, Mrs Carole Heritage on 01225 721 133
To arrange a visit, or any other enquiries at the Pre-Prep and Prep please contact our Deputy Heads of Admissions Nicky Davis or Katie Hiscott on 01225 831 238.
Give us a call:
Tel: +44 (0)1225 721 133
Or send us an email:
email@example.com for Senior School enquiries
firstname.lastname@example.org for Pre-Prep and Prep enquiries
Alternatively, to request a prospectus, please use our online form:Click here »
Rugby 7s: Monkton’s Girls win at the first attempt!Read more »
First regatta of the season sees a flurry of firsts for Monkton
Year 11 boys winning the open fours category after 3 very hard races.Read more »
Year 3 Scholarship FAQs