Great turnout for Glen farewell
Monday, 20 June 2016
The Monkton community turned out in force to say farewell to Glenburnie and St George's Chapel at the weekend. A service of thanksgiving was led by Head of Chaplaincy Andy Hutchinson along with performances from the Junior Choir at the Prep School and a chance to look around the building development on the Prep School site.
Glenburnie has been home to the Pre-Prep since 1937 ‘for boys between the ages of six and nine.’ The first ‘Superintendent’ of the house was to be Miss M Campbell in charge of 12 boys. The ‘dining room’ now became a playroom-cum-skating-rink.
When Bryan Morris became Headmaster he felt that the Junior School ought to have its own chapel. On a Sunday, the boarders would have to walk to and from the Senior School for services in its chapel. The old ‘dining room’ at Glen was ideal for the purpose and in March 1952 was dedicated by Bishop Bradfield of Bath and Wells. Everything in the chapel was a donation from old boys, parents, staff and well-wishers. Perhaps the most moving item was the inscription in the pulpit which greeted every preacher – ‘Sir, we would see Jesus’.
So many former members of staff and governors along with current staff and parents joined the gathering that there were many reunions of old friends catching up as well as new friendships being forged. The day concluded with a tour of the new build and a cream tea in the Law Building at the Prep School.
Please see the video of the Prep School Junior Choir singing El Shaddei.
For some more photos from the day, please visit the gallery.