150 in 150
Wednesday, 21 March 2018
As we celebrate our 150th year we would like to share with you 150 photos throughout the year to give you a flavour of what life at Monkton is all about. #150in150.
1. We kick off our album with pictures of the Pre-Prep children who came to school in early January as a historical figure of their choosing. Here we have from left to right, Sherlock Holmes, Jane Austen, Ada Lovelace and Admiral Lord Nelson. #150in150
3. Some of our Senior School pupils putting their best foot forward in their dance class. #150in150
4. Our #150in150 album showcasing Monkton in it's 150th year continues today with our Prep School cross country runners preparing to brave the cold during their latest run.
5. For 150 years Monkton has encouraged our students to learn a wide variety of new skills and today is no different. Here some of our Senior School pupils give woodturning a go #150in150
6. #150in150 - On Friday 19th January the whole Monkton Combe School community gathered in Bath Abbey for a service to mark the beginning of Monkton's 150th Anniversary Celebrations. In this picture we have our current Chaplain Rev Andrew Hutchinson (Hutch) with Rev Andrew Salmon who served as Chaplain for the School between 1958 and 1971 chatting after a memorable and uplifting service.
7. #150in150 Continuing our album celebrating our 150th year, the Prep School boarders practice their pancake-making skills ready for Shrove Tuesday next month. #150in150
8. To be a successful school for 150 years takes a lot of dedication from our staff and pupils and our Senior Netball team certainly demonstrate it during their 6.45am conditioning sessions!
Here they are taking a well earned rest. #150in150
9. Our #150in150 album showcasing all the great day-to-day activities happening during our 150th year continues today with some of our Pre-Prep pupils getting creative making icicles using just a bin bag, PVA glue and glitter!
10. As we near the end of the first month of our 150th year, the 10th image in the #150in150 album features OM and ex-Prep School Headmaster Peter LeRoy signing his book 'A Delightful Inheritance' which charts the 150 year history of the School. To order your copy please follow the link to the Monkton Outfitters website: http://
11. On a damp January day two Monkton pupils enjoy the tranquil surroundings of the river down at Saltford. Another image in our series of photos celebrating life at Monkton - #150in150 — in Saltford.
12. #150in150 The smiles say it all! Our U11s boys hockey team celebrating after qualifying for the IAPS National Finals. First image for February and the twelth in our series of 150 photos in our 150th year.
13. The Prep School children have been busy keeping our local surroundings tidy with some excellent work picking up litter. Part of their commitment to service and another example of the broad range of activities Monkton covers showcased in our 150 photos in our 150th year. Keep up the good work! #150in150
14. The Pre-Prep celebrated Values Day last week with the children learning all about Confidence. They held a silent disco to show they could dance with confidence in front of others and had a jolly good time! #150in150 What a lovely way to start our week of pictures in our 150 photos in our 150th year!
15. For our 15th photo in our 150 photos in our 150th year series we have chosen a composite picture from the Band Night that was held at the Senior School last weekend. Over 50 musicians performed an eclectic mix of music in the Bowerman Hall to entertain a hugely enthusiastic audience. #150in150
16. At the end of January, 34 A level physics students visited CERN in Switzerland home of the biggest and most famous particle accelerator in the world, the Large Hadron Collider. Continuing our series of 150 photos in Monkton's 150th year. #150in150
17. We think differently at Monkton and that means our pupils get to experience many different activities, not just the conventional ones. Here some of our students get stuck into a Jiu Jitsu training session. #150in150
18. Our Prep School runners recently took a picturesque run on to Shaft Road and stopped to look down at the spectacular views of the Monkton Valley where our Senior School is based.
They also took a great photo to add to our celebratory album of 150 photos in our 150th year #150in150
19. Monkton was lucky to celebrate Chinese New year before half term with a delicious offering of traditional Chinese fare for lunch enjoyed by staff and pupils. The Year of the Dog officially began on Friday 16th - Happy New Year to all and a big thank you to our talented chefs. #150in150
20. As well as being Monkton's 150th Year it is also the 23rd Winter Olympics in Pyeonchang. Over half term 19 Monkton pupils took to the slopes in the Tyrol to enjoy a week of winter sports. Our 20th image capturing a Monkton Moment in this anniversary year #150in150
21. Our Conservation Group has been busy helping out The National Trust on the Bath Skyline with a variety of tasks including moving logs and cutting back brambles. We are proud to have an ongoing fruitful relationship with the NT and are delighted to present this image in our celebratory 150th album. #150in150
22. Monkton rowers were at the Avon County Head at Saltford at the weekend. Our first #150in150 of the week captures the J16 4+ on a clear and cold day on the river.
23. The youngest members of the Monkton Community feature for the first time in our 150 pictures in our 150th year. The Nursery children were very excited to find some dinosaur eggs outside the Pre-Prep last week and had great fun playing with them! #150in150
24. Today we are proud to add the new U13 County Hockey Champions as our #150in150 picture celebrating life at Monkton in its special anniversary year. Congratulations boys!
25. Amidst all the snow fun, our Senior School pupils were also out helping the local residents clear the roads around the village during the recent cold snap. Service in the community number 25 in #150in150 - celebrating Monkton in its 150th year.
26. We are proud to announce more sporting success for our Prep School pupils - this time it is our U12 Rugby Sevens squad who were crowned champions at the Sibford School Rugby Sevens tournament. Well done to the boys for keeping up our long rugby tradition during our 150th year #150in150
27. Last week the Navy section of the CCF visited HMS Excellent in Portsmouth. Here our cadets are waist high in water at the Damage and Repair Instructional Unit learning how to cope if the ship is damaged. Monkton has always had strong links with the Forces and we are delighted to post this for our first #150in150 of the week.
28. Last week our Chapel Choir was delighted to be invited back to to sing Evensong in Bath Abbey. This is the second year running and they very much hope to make it a regular fixture. The Abbey has already featured in our 150th celebrations and we will once again be returning there for the Carol Service in December. #150in150
29. The Biology Lab snake gets an outing during a lesson -with some expert handling from one of our pupils. Friday's offering in our series of 150 pictures in Monkton's 150th year #150in150
30. Our Year 7 pupils at the Prep School were delighted to welcome the Borussia Dortmund u12 squad to th school at the weekend. They swapped stories about their sporting lives created a joint club logo and Monkton had a go at teaching the Dortmund lads rugby. A memorable morning for all and this image is number 30 in our #150in150series.
31. Snow arrived again at the weekend and on Monday the Pre-Prep children were lucky enough get out and enjoy it. #150in150
32. U11 hockey boys at the National finals yesterday - superb support from family members. Well done boys on a terrific season! #150in150
33. Congratulations to our Boys' Hockey 1st team for on their hard fought win over Kingswood in the Bath & Bristol Hockey League Final yesterday - what a great way to bring the season in our 150th year to a close! #150in150
34. Our Prep School pupils and staff were delighted to present a cheque to Genesis Trust Bath last week for £1000 raised through the sale of our Christmas single 'Open Up Your Hearts', performed by our Pre-Prep and Prep School pupils. #150in150
35. Our Year 10-13 rowers are showing true dedication this week, giving up some of their Easter break to attend our rowing camp at #Cerlain Northern Spain. Here are some of the girls out in the boat before the sun was even up! #150in150
36. Our Year 12 geographers recently went on a field trip to Dorset and took in the fantastic scenery at Lulworth Cove during their studies. They certainly had the right weather for it! #150in150
37. Our Pre-Prep Reception class had an early visit from the Easter Bunny last week - they must have known it was the end of term! The class searched high and low to find lots of special treats and then learned about sharing them out equally #150in150. Have a great Easter everyone!
38. Does anything say 'Summer's coming' more than painting the lines for the running track at our Prep School? We are looking forward to seeing the athletic efforts and achievements of our pupils once term starts. #150in150
39. Music has always played a big part in Monkton's 150 year history and we like to start them early - last term we formed a Pre-Prep strings club where some of our pupils have been learning to play the cello and the violin and how to read music. #150in150
40. A group of our pupils recently took a trip to London to watch a performance of the highly acclaimed Matilda The Musical . They were wowed by the fantastic set and the amazing performance and enjoyed every minute. #150in150
41. #150in150 Congratulations to Old Monktonian Ama Agbeze captain of the England Netball team who took the gold medal at the Gold Coast Commonwealth Games at the weekend. Netball continues to thrive at Monkton and Ama's achievements will inspire our netballers of the future!
42. Our D of E expedition led by Jamie Rouan saw the Black Group set up wild camp next to Devonport Leat on Dartmoor over the Easter break. Monkton has a strong affiliation with the Duke of Edinburgh award scheme with many of our pupils achieving Gold. #150in150
43. The Anglo-Saxons invade Monkton Prep – how will Years 5 and 6 respond to the danger? Will they examine the evidence having done some digging to find artefacts from AD 900 or will they run for the hills? Will they manage to preserve the legacy of these people, whether it be tangible, cultural or linguistic? Exciting times in History lessons as we celebrate the past! #150in150
44. A very significant #150in150 - On Friday all pupils and staff gathered at the Prep School for the 150th Whole School Photograph. Senior School staff and pupils walked up the drungs to RV at 2pm. — in Bath, Somerset.
45. Over the Easter Break year 10 French students visited Paris to "to get better at spontaneous outbursts of French in a conversational setting as well as taking in the many breathtaking sites of the city #150in150. — in Paris, France.
46. Howzat! The cricket season begins and what better way to mark the occasion than with a special 150 cricket ball? Good luck to all the Monkton cricketers this summer, we hope you all have an excellent innings! #150in150
47. Congratulations to Tom and Kenny who came third at the National Schools Equestrian Association One Day Event at Calmsden at the weekend qualifying them for the National Schools' Champs in July! #150in150
48. What a fine way to start a Sunday morning. OMs came back to Monkton for a spot of football against the School and lost 4-2 - glad to see they're still smiling. #150in150
49. For the love of Outdoor learning - The global languages club take advantage of a glorious day at the Prep School last week assembling on Sham Field. The new club is an opportunity for pupils to learn a wide range of languages from their peers. #150in150
50. We are delighted to bring you a special 50th picture in our series of 150 pictures in our 150th year. Prep School pupil Matty Garrod scored a half century against Millfield yesterday and we are pleased to report a win for the Prep School 1st XI! Congratulations to all the team. — in Glastonbury, Somerset, United Kingdom.
51. Sports Day at the Senior School today and Year 9 pupil Matilda West breaks the 1500 metre record. Well done to all who competed in track and field #150in150
52. OMs were delighted to return to the School recently and catch up with former classmates. This group left around 50 years ago. Monkton continues to have strong ties with its Alumni and particularly in its 150th Year #150in150 — in Bath, Somerset.
53. The Senior School Junior production of Alice began yesterday with a final performance tomorrow in the Assembly Hall - Hope it goes well - #150in150
54. The Music Department held their Summer Concert last night with Monkton Ukes featuring - they seem to have been joined by a Double Bass and a Banjo! #150in150
55. A tired but triumphant Monkton team cross the finishing line at the end of the annual Ten Tors Challenge on Dartmoor. Congratulations boys, fantastic achievement! #150in150 — in Okehampton.
56. Today at the Pre-Prep is Outdoor Learning Day and the children have clearly enjoyed their time in the great outdoors learning a variety of life skills in the beautiful surroundings of the Pre-Prep. #150in150
57. With Royal Wedding fever gripping the nation the Pre-Prep children couldn't wait to join in with the celebrations. Here they are royally clad in their finery getting ready for the big day! #150in150
58. We were delighted to host a lego building afternoon at the Pre-Prep on Saturday. Children from the Pre-Prep and Prep Schools were joined by other children from the local area and ended the day by creating their own lego town affectionately named Monktonville! #150in150
59. The annual House Regatta took place at Saltford at the weekend in glorious May weather - a splendid setting for a day out on the river! #150in150
60. There was a royal treat for former Monkton pupils who completed their Gold Duke Of Edinburgh Award whilst at the school last year when they received their certificates from Rick Stein at Buckingham Palace following a short chat with Prince William. #150in150
61. The International Student Society at Monkton recently held a special evening to celebrate the range of cultures we have here at the School complete with flags and bunting and national dress! #150in150
62. There was feverish chirping of grasshoppers, scuttling of beetles legs, and the flap of the wings of ladybirds, bees and butterflies at our Pre-Prep last week as they held a Beautiful Bug Ball. #150in150
63. As part of Bath Festivals Party in the City, Jazz@Monkton were invited to the Komedia to play a 40 minute Jazz set. This was their most prestigious external gig to date and they acquitted themselves with real confidence and flair. #150in150
64. Our Director of MusicatMonkton gave a splendid recital of music by Bach, Howells, Popplewell, Saint-Saëns and Herschel Hill at the Bath Abbey summer series today. It is always a pleasure for our staff and students to take part in events in this historic building #150in150
65. We are so proud of all our rowers who took part in the National Schools' Regatta last month, including the boys J18 4+ who finished 6th in the country and our girls J18 4- who were 8th in the country. Everyone gave it their all and kept up our proud rowing tradition #150in150
66. Our CCF cadets were excited to receive a visit from the Royal Navy in one of their Wildcat helicopters which landed on our Landham sports field yesterday - avoiding the cricket pitch of course! A big thank you to them for such an informative and interesting visit #150in150
67. It was Expedition Day at the Prep School yesterday and a number of the children went to The National Coal Museum in Pontypool - a fascinating day out. #150in150
67. It was Expedition Day at the Prep School yesterday and a number of the children went to The National Coal Museum in Pontypool - a fascinating day out. #150in150
69. 100 pupils, 6 space hoppers, 2 wellies, 2 skateboards & an obstacle course equals a fantastic day at our Nutfield House 'Super Sports' event last weekend. Based on primary school sports days it was a great way for pupils to let off steam during a hectic exam season #150in150
70. My coat of many colours - rousing performances of Joseph and the Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat at the Prep School this week delighted audiences with its high energy, comedic touches, fantastic musicianship and imaginative staging.
71. A 1km picture created by our pupils and Combe Down Primary pupils was revealed at our Climate Change Day yesterday to raise awareness of global warming. The image is 1km long to represent the distance a glacier in South-West Greenland has receded over the past two decades #150in150
72. As part of the British Nutrition Foundation Healthy Eating Week last week our pupils and staff were making their own smoothies with the help of our juice bike. #150in150
73. It was amazing to see how some fantastic pieces of music can come together in a short space of time at our Orchestral Day yesterday. Thanks to all of the schools who sent along their very talented and delightfully well behaved pupils for what was a great day #150in150
74. We're delighted to unveil our contribution to the 'Minerva's Owls of Bath' project - the 'Tree of KnOWLedge'. Created by former Monkton pupil Tom Fussell, it is based at our Pre-Prep and Prep in Combe Down. Come and have a look from Monday. #OwlsOfBath #150in150
75. Our #150in150 has reached the halfway point and what better image to show than one from yesterday's Pre-Prep and Prep Colour Run where 270 pupils braved the heat and the paint raining down on them to raise money for the school's charity. A big thank you to Relish The Great Outdoors for their help organising this brilliant event.
76. A group of our pupils were recently privileged to be allowed to visit the MINI factory in Oxford and were fascinated by the amount of technology that is used on the production lines to create these fabulous cars. Thank you to the staff for being so welcoming and informative. #150in150
77. Our pupils and staff were proud to be invited to the commissioning of the Royal Navy vessel HMS Magpie. The name has historic connections to our Prep School, including the design of it's crest being based on the cover of our own Magpie magazine #150in150
78. What a glorious day for our Prizegiving Ceremony. It's been a great day so far seeing all this year's prizewinners collect their awards in front of their proud families. Our Year 13's have just been given a Guard of Honour following the Leavers' Service in Chapel #150in150
79. Here are our T20 cricket team who were the proud winners of the Bath Schools' T20 Cup for the second consecutive year. Some outstanding individual performances were backed up by great team play to help the boys to victory. Congratulations boys it was well deserved #150in150
80. There's nothing like a bit of support from an Olympic Champion! Youth Olympic Skeleton Champion and Monkton pupil Ashleigh Pittaway was delighted to welcome Olympic gold medallist Lizzy Yarnold to Monkton's Summer Art Show. What fantastic support! #150in150
81. Our Year 9 Historians have been working on the theme of remembrance this week on their Battlefields Trip which has included visits to Bayernwald, the Ypres Salient, the Lochnagar Mine, the trenches at Vimy and the Menin Gate where the pupils laid a wreath #150in150
82. Our Year 12s have just returned from a very picturesque Snowdonia where they completed their Gold DofE assessed expedition. The group spent four days trekking from sea level to the summit of Mount Snowdon where they were treated to some amazing views! #150in150
83. Our Year 8 pupils put on an amazing production of High School Musical to round off the term last week. It was great to see lots of energy on stage and it was a lovely way for them to finish their time at our Prep School before taking their next steps. #150in150
84. Pupils from our CCF Army & RAF sections recently spent a week at Okehampton Camp learning survival skills. Activities included first aid, fire starting techniques, drill, paddle boarding, raft building, sailing, scenario training and time on the rifle range #150in150
85. Failing to prepare is preparing to fail, but there is no chance of that at Monkton as pre-season training for our 150th year rugby season is already underway and the boys are working hard to make sure it's a good one. Keep up the good work! #150in150
86. Monktonians play sport - even on the first day of term! Today all of our most senior pupils were out on the hockey or rugby pitch blowing away the summer cobwebs and starting the new term as they mean to go on! #150in150
87. Fantastic to hear that the cornerstone laying ceremony for the Asso Village Medical Centre in Nigeria took place recently. The project was Monkton Senior School's chosen charity last year and the school is proud to have raised £15k in support of this great cause #150in150
88. Congratulations to Tom & Kenny and their teammates who recently became National Pony Club Team Champions. Tom & Kenny placed 5th individually and Tom won a special commendation for Horsemanship at cross country. Next up are the National Schools Championships in October. #150in150
89. It's a new colour for a new season as our Rugby and Hockey 1st teams will be sporting a brand new red kit for the first time this weekend. The rugby kit was presented to the team by our sponsors, recruitment specialists, Partners Employment. #150in150
90. Our Prep boarders from Hatton House enjoyed an action packed first weekend back with activities from watching Bath Rugby, cake baking and learning to juggle, to visiting Bowood House for a play in the adventure playground, a team treasure hunt and much more besides #150in150
91. What a way to start the day! Our Prep School boarders went out to enjoy this stunning view of the Midford Valley before breakfast at the weekend. We are very fortunate to be located in such beautiful surroundings at both our school sites. #150in150
92. Getting excited about our Open Air cinema event at the Prep School this evening. The Greatest Showman comes to Monkton #150in150
93. A breathtaking backdrop at the start line of the U10s & U11s Bath Schools' Cross Country Meet at the Prep School yesterday. Thanks to all of the schools who took part and to the parents who came to support so many pupils giving it their all. #150in150
94. We were delighted to welcome ex-England cricketer Chris Lewis to our first lecture of the season on Friday. Chris talked about his life as a cricketer and his life after cricket. #150in150
95. One of our Greenpower cars named The Magpie was put through its paces at Castle Combe Circuit for the Greenpower Education Trust event in September, what a way to start the term! #150in150
96. 96. Our Year 1's were very proud of completing their puzzle which they did through teamwork and problem solving. Pre-Prep are settling in well to the new term
97. Our Year 5s spent last week in Chichester at the Christian Youth Enterprise Centre learning outdoor skills including team building and water-related activities a-plenty! As always a fun packed week.
98. Don't stop us now! Last Saturday The Forum in Bath hosted this year's special 150th House Music competition. School House were triumphant after a 54 year wait with their rendition of Queen's Don't Stop me Now - Many congrats to them! #150in150
99. Our Year 13 Politics students attended a lecture given by Rt Hon Dominic Grieve QC MP who spoke about his case for a people's vote on the Brexit deal.
100. We are proud to present number 100 from the Prep School illustrating their Magpie made out of recycling. This was the entry point for their new IPC (International Primary Curriculum) topic Material World. Very well done to them #150in150
101. On Saturday we welcomed 65 Old Clarendonians and guests to Monkton to celebrate their 120th Birthday which happens to co-incide with our 150th. Clarendon School for girls merged with Monkton in 1992 when it then became fully co-ed. They had teas and coffees in our Clarendon Boarding House which is full of memorabilia from the school followed by lunch in the Dining Hall and a chance to catch up with old friends! #150in150
102. Our Kindergarten and Year 1 children have been sharing their sensory learning. Year 1 showed Kindergarten their sensory books that they made and Kindergarten loved feeling, smelling and hearing all about them. #150in150
103. Today we celebrate World Teacher's Day and staff across the three schools at Monkton enjoyed cookies and fresh fruit at break time. We hope all our teaching staff have a very happy day!
104. Congratulations to our U16 Hockey Girls who finished as runners up in the Avon County Hockey Competition today and deservedly qualified for the West Finals. #150in50
105. Today the Senior School enjoyed Well Being Day, with many workshops happening across the site ranging from bullying, gambling, street dance, singing, origami bookmark making and stress management. A mammoth task of organisation and an excellent day for all the pupils. #150in150 #monktonwellbeingday
106. Our Prep School boarders were out in force to run the #MarshfieldMudLark cross country event last weekend. Decked out in their Monkton Kit, Hatton House beanies and face paint, they really looked the part and all of them were a credit to the school and themselves. #150in150
107. This was the 'classroom' for our Y8 pupils yesterday as they investigated footpath erosion on the #BathSkyline for their Geography project. Our pupils always enjoy and are inspired by the opportunity to go and work in the beautiful surroundings of our local area #150in150
108. Great to see lots of food donated for #Harvestfestival at our Pre-Prep and Prep School today. This year’s donations go to Genesis Trust Bath who kindly came and explained to us how the food will be used in their food banks around Bath. #150in150 #charity
109. Our first Masterclass Saturday of the academic year took place at the Prep School with a variety of inspiring workshops including a fish dissection, a felt workshop, a trebuchet catapult making session in DT and a French puppet theatre workshop. #funlearning #150in150
110. The creativity, concentration and hard work of our Prep School pupils at their #willowworkshopwith artist Sarah Le Breton has been great to watch. They have created an elephant sculpture and a den which will soon be completed and seen in the Prep School grounds. #150in150
111. A super informal lunchtime concert in our Bowerman Hall today, with pupils Sophie, Elliot and Matt all on top form. We are looking forward to plenty more of these throughout the year! #150in150
112. In June the Prep School collected coats for the charity Operation Orphan. Earlier this week our chaplain Rev Andy Hutchinson welcomed their MD Brad Moore to Monkton to collect - they will be going to Hungary for the winter to keep those children warm. #150in150
113. This week was Field Day for our CCF pupils. Our Army cadets were working on basic fieldcraft, our Navy and Air Force cadets visited RNAS Yeovilton where they gained valuable experience of a working airfield and our REME section visited The Tank Museum #150in150
114. Our pupils are having a fascinating time on their Malawi trip where so far they have met children at the learning centre and visited the Kachere 2 School for whom they raised funds to provide phala porridge for 12 months. Follow their blog ow.ly/ANPt30mhslF. #150in150
115. Our Year 9 pupils enjoyed the chance to step outside their comfort zones with a day of outdoor team building and problem solving activities including rafting, orienteering and climbing at Brokerswood Country Park with the Wiltshire Outdoor Learning Team last week. #150in150
116. It was lovely to watch our Year 8 pupils help those from the Pre-Prep get up the tricky hill section of the course during our Inter-House Cross Country before half term - it really summed up the spirit of Monkton! #150in150
117. Huge congratulations to our Y10 pupil and Team Bath Tennis & Team Bath MCTA Tennisplayer Zara Burney on winning the G3 18U Junior Open at Oxstalls over half term. Zara's determination saw her make big comebacks in the semi and final and her win takes her UK ranking to 39. #150in150
119. Our U14 rugby boys had an amazing time on their Netherlands tour during half term with opportunities to face some very good opposition on the field and take in some of the culture off it. Thanks to RC DIOK, RFC Oisterwijk Oysters & Haagsche Rugby Club for your hospitality. #150in150
120. Our Royal Air Force cadets took to the sky at MOD St Athan yesterday where they had the opportunity to pilot some Grob Tutor training aircraft. For some it was their first opportunity to fly an aircraft and some were also able to practice take offs and landings. #150in150
121. We are very proud of Year 12 pupil and British Bobsleigh & Skeleton team member Ashleigh Pittaway who recently won a skeleton selection race in Germany and is currently the 2nd fastest slider in Britain and hoping to qualify to compete at the World Cup. #150in150
122. Our Armistice Day Remembrance Services kicked off this morning at our Pre-Prep with our younger pupils learning what the day means and paying their respects. This included our Nursery who proudly showed off the amazing artwork tribute they have created. #150in150
123. Monkton remembered the fallen on the 100th anniversary of the end of WW1. First a service beside the grave of Harry Patch the last survivor of the trenches of the Great War followed by a service of remembrance in our chapel #150in150
124. There was a great atmosphere at our Joint Concert on Friday night with many memorable performances as our Pre-Prep & Prep School pupils performed alongside those from the Senior School in front of a packed audience - it really was a joy to behold! #150in150
125. What a glorious view during our U8 Bath Schools' Hockey Festival yesterday where we were treated to a double rainbow. The only better sight was all of the players having such a fun afternoon of hockey being played in the right spirit - thanks to all those who came. #150in150
126. Our Kindergarten children had a lovely time creating their own 'fireworks' using a parachute and multi coloured balls last week as part of their learning about Bonfire Night. #150in150
127. On Friday Monkton held its 150th Anniversary Dinner in aid of our Bursary Appeal. We welcomed guest speaker Olympic gold medallist Amy Williams, were entertained by the Jazz Band & The Choir Who Can't Sing & held an auction of prizes for the appeal. #150in150
128. We were delighted to welcome Dr. Harry Witchel to Monkton who gave an inspiring lecture on body language on Friday night in the Chapel. #150in150
129. Some of our Year 7 and 8 pupils were putting one of the School values - #service - into practice at the weekend as they helped with bag packing at a local @sainsburys store. They met lots of lovely members of the #community who were all appreciative of their help #150in150
130. A great time was had by our Prep School boarders last weekend when they visited London. Their day included a trip to the Science Museum, Hamleys and lots and lots of sight seeing. #BuckinghamPalace #150in150
131.We were delighted to welcome 30 OMs back to Monkton on Saturday for our 2008 Leavers reunion. #150in150
132. Great to see our Prep school pupils at the Kids Lit Quiz today at Cokethorpe School. #150in150
133. Our Prep School pupils and the school Music department were busy recording their Christmas single "Christmas Bells" written by Mr Julian Scott and masterminded by Mrs Harris, with fantastic support from Mr Mainwaring and our Y13 Music Technology pupils. Can't wait to hear it! #150in150
134. It's Christmas Jumper day at the Senior School and pupils have paid £2 for the privilege of wearing mufti in aid of the School charity of the year. #150in150
135. What a beautiful start to the week, the Nursery children performed their Nativity Play for mums and dads. Lovely singing and acting from our youngest pupils, really capturing the Christmas spirit #monktonchristmas #150in150
136. Saturday night saw the third and final performance of this year's Senior Production, 'Blue Stockings' by Jessica Swale.
The show was another stunning example of the high standard of production audiences have come to expect from Monkton pupils and staff. #150in150
137. Our Prep School rugby season ended on a high last weekend with two good victories over Hazelgrove for our 1st XIII and Colts A XI. This was the 12th win in 14 games for the 1st XII, the highest number of wins in a season for this team since 1994. #150in150
138. Our Chapel was full of local residents, pupils and staff for our Carols in the Community service on Sunday. This event is always such a lovely way to start the run up to Christmas and everyone was in fine voice on the night. Thanks to all who came. #150in150
139. The Prep School dining room was tranformed into a Christmas wreath making workshop earlier this week with local florist Yew Tree Flowers instructing. Some very festive creations were produced. #150in150
140. With the holidays approaching, today Year 5 transformed their classrooms into a travel agency and were tasked with promoting locations around the world. Parents were invited in to find out more about holiday destinations the children had been researching. The pupils have prepared presentations, leaflets and websites to show how much they had learned about countries across the globe, and even shared food and drinks from the countries they were promoting. #150in150
142. After our amazing Nursery Nativity earlier this week, today saw the turn of the rest of the Pre-Prep School and they did not disappoint as they delivered a great performance in front of a large audience of parents. Well done to them all and thanks to all who came. #150in150
143. Our Year 7 pupils are raring to go for their production of Twelfth Night this evening at the Prep School at 7pm and if yesterday's dress rehearsal is anything to go by then everyone is in for treat. #150in150
144. Our pupils have been spreading the Christmas spirit in our local community. The Prep School took their String Quartet, Close Harmony Choir and Hand Bells to perform for Senior Citizens in Combe Down, whilst our Senior Chapel Choir sung for the Over 60s Club in Rode. #150in150
145. A huge thank you to Simon Weston for speaking at the Monkton lecture series on Friday night. The talk was powerful, inspirational and humorous and our pupils were fully engaged throughout. #150in150
146. On the 5th December 2018, the whole of the economics A level took a trip to London to attend ‘Economics in Action’ which consisted of talks on monetary policy, ecenomic justice and a meeting with David Lammy MP and his views on Brexit. #150in150
147. We are looking forward to this afternoon's performance of the Year 3 and 4 Nativity Play - Babooshka. The children look resplendent in their costumes and it is sure to be a musical treat! #150in150
148. On Sunday the Monkton Combe Choral Society performed in the Assembly Hall in front of a packed audience. The concert featured two Bach Cantatas and some traditional Baroque Carols finishing with a rousing rendition of O Come all Ye Faithful. #150in150
149. Monkton was out in force on the ice in Bristol at the weekend for the annual ice skating and shopping trip. 140 pupils took to the ice and filled up their shopping bags with Christmas goodies. A perfect last weekend to a busy term. #150in150